[DeTomaso] Busted Big, but Reno anyway? - cams and oil with ZDDP - LONG

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Fri Jun 12 17:58:45 EDT 2009

Barry Seib skrev:
> Thomas
> In my opinion, any oil that can meet an API designation of SM is not
> suitable for flat tappet or racing use, BUT I'm not an expert.
>
> I have been reading
>
> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=11

Check this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1491262#Post1491262

This appears to be the European 0W-40 Mobil 1, which from the comments
appears to be different from the US spec Mobil 1.

As I'm using a roller cam and full roller rockers, I believe the only
sliding contact surfaces left are the distributor/oilpump gear, which is
a Crane steel gear. The gear looked fine when I removed the distributor
and replaced it with the cam sensor, on which I installed a new Crane
steel gear, with lots of moly grease.

Thomas

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 444 33 21