[DeTomaso] Busted Big, but Reno anyway? - Oil & ZDDP

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 12:53:39 EDT 2009

Well, I never worried much about my motor oil before I spun a rod bearing 2
  years ago.
I think that was before we knew much about ZDDP missing from
  our oil.  I have always
preferred single weight oils (such as
  30wt) for their better quality base product molecules.

Anyway, upon disassembling my engine and inspecting my cam and lifters, I can
  tell you
that you NEED an oil with sufficient ZDDP to protect your flat tappet cam and lifters. Even
if this is a 50,000 mile engine.  ZDDP is not just for initial break-in!  My cam lobes were all
badly scored and my lifters worn concave (they're supposed to be convex to promote rotation).

Here is a brief summary list of suitable oils to use based on ZDDP content:

  Valvoline VR1 30wt
  The
  Valvoline site states the VR-1 has ZDDP added (1400/1300ppm zinc/phosphorus),
BUT ONLY IF MADE IN US OR CANADA.

Might be worth checking the bottle before you buy.
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

  Central Petroleum Race oil
  http://www.cenpecosales.com/super_racing_oil.html

  Mobil 1 (15w50 is the only one with sufficient ZDDP)
  Here’s
  a chart of their product line. The last line labeled “Phosphorus content” is
  the ZDDP level:
  http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

  Collectors Choice
  http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=65932

  Lots
  of good info about it here, including why racing oil and diesel oil may not
  be optimal for your gasoline engine:
  http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/pdf/220-810_220-815_INST.pdf

  Brad Penn Racing Oil
  http://www.bradpennracing.com/

  Shell Rotella T Synthetic

Diesel motor oils such as Shell Rotella and Chevron Delos
400 had proper ratings for ZDDP
content until just recently.Oil formulations for diesel applications are changing due to
increasing emissions regulations. Furthermore,

There is a virgin oil analysis for Shell Rotella T Synthetic
CJ4/SM on bobistheoilguy.com
from 8/08 which shows 1300ppm of Zinc, which is plenty. So it appears that this oil is still
ok for our cars.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1234980#Post1234980

 However, I would not run diesel oil in my engine. Oil formulated for diesel applications
tends to have a much higher detergent content to deal with the combustion byproducts,
which results in a much lower surface tension and lower shear pressure rating. And, diesel
oil is typically a higher viscosity for the larger bearing clearances in a diesel engine than
you have in a high performance gasoline engine.

ZDDPlus Additive:

http://www.zddplus.com/

Robert Kirk, who's on this list, is a distributor for the ZDDPlus additive. Contact him directlyoff-list for special pricing.http://www.kirks-auto.com