[DeTomaso] Busted Big, but Reno anyway? - cams and oil with ZDDP - LONG

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Fri Jun 12 12:46:33 EDT 2009

 Guys

I have researched this lately and here's what I think I know:

If the oil you are buying has an API designation "SM" you should NOT use it
in any flat tappet engine. It probably isn't real good for old style rocker
arms and wrist pins either, but it is perfect for catalytic convertors.

API designation "SL" is NOT much better and I wouldn't use it in any flat
tappet engine either. If either of these designations appear on the oil you
are considering, whether it's diesel oil, synthetic oil or both, I think you
are taking a serious risk of premature failure.

There are other choices:

Brad Penn oil is specifically designed for our type of engines WITH lots of
ZDDP. It has NO API SL or SM rating and is not recommended for catalytic
convertors. This is the old "green oil" from the Bradford Penn. refinery
that used to belong to Kendall Racing Oil. The Kendall name was sold to
another oil company quite a while ago. Brad Penn bought the refinery and
still proces the "green oil". I have begun importing it in quantity to
Canada from the US from Brad Penn. If you guys want to put a group buy
together, I'll try to help facilitate that with contacts in the US. There
are guys selling Brad Penn racing oil on ebay too.

Motorcycle oil is available in 20w-50 from Castrol and others Motorcycle
does not require a current API designation (...yet ?), so probably still has
lots of ZDDP. I have seen them advertising it as meeting API SE or SG. These
are old API designations which were suited to our clevelands.

I'm told that Aviation oil contains excellent additives including ZDDP, but
I'm not sure about the detergent and dispersant part of the formula, etc. in
car engines. We probably have some oil chemists or engineers on the list who
could comment on that.

Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol and others used to make good
racing oil that was good lots of ZDDP, but I don't see it around here
recently very much. IF the current product has an API of SL or SM, I
wouldn't use it in older engines.

I'm told Amsoil makes a 20w-50 synthetic with adequate ZDDP in it, but you
must be very certain to get their racing oil that has the ZDDP load in it. I
don't think most of their other current product does.

As a last resort, you can buy GM "EOS" or ZDDP additive and add it to the
modern API SL or SM oil.

None of this applies to modern engines with catalytic convertors of course.

I wouldn't think it wise to use API SM oil in any race car engine, no matter
what age it is.

Diesel engine oil has also changed in the last year or two. They are putting
cats on them now too. Last time I bought some diesel oil, I got it home and
found an API "SL" on it. I'm using it up in the grocery getter.

Looking forward to other opinions on this subject.

Barry
(up to my ears in good engine oil)

----

Were you using Mobil 1 for gas, or for diesel?

I just bought 8 liters of Mobil 1 for diesel engines, based on discussions
here, but without any real data of zddp content of that mix...

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"