[DeTomaso] LoJack theft recovery system

Lynn Wall cars at wt-inc.com
Fri Jun 12 11:28:49 EDT 2009

The answer is "it depends".  I work in the wireless industry building their
tower networks.  This is true of phones newer than probably 3 years.  Some
phones do not even need to be turned on in order to be "pinged".  If you are
in a city they can get closer to you, probably within 20 meters.  If you are
in a rural area they can still probably "find" you but, depending on the
number of towers your phone "sees" it might be within 100-200 meters.  Still
okay.  If the battery is dead on the phone you are screwed.

The GPS systems are based on the towers and triangulation calculations

This system requires cooperation with the carriers and would probably delay
the recovery of your vehicle, possibly to the point of being too late.
LoJack would result in a much faster recovery.

FWIW

Lynn