[DeTomaso] Pandora update (or, it's amazing what a note from a cop will do)

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Jun 8 19:41:22 EDT 2009

Guess what; I got a call from the mechanic about ten minutes ago.  It seemed one of his daughters called him and told him there was a sheriff at his house asking about a car (mine).

He started out extremely crabby and defensive, but remembering the old saying, "you get more flies with honey," I stayed calm, asked about his injured daughter and told him I was concerned I hadn't heard from him.

There were plenty of times I could have blown my cool, such as when I asked for the address where the car is, and he said since he didn't know for sure that I was the real owner, he wouldn't tell me!  I told him I had the VIN number, and asked if that would help, but he said since he wasn't in the shop at the moment he couldn't verify that...

Remaining calm, however, I reminded him of the one, single time I spoke with him three weeks ago, and since I was staying under control, he began to mellow a bit.  He told me where the car was (although he couldn't remember the exact address, he described where it was and promised he'd call my office with the exact address), and then went on and on about how he meant to get to it sooner, but his daughter got injured and the car didn't leak at first (sure), blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, he promised he'd have the engine over the Dale's (the engine builder) today or tomorrow, and said he'd get it all back together "as soon as he could."

Hey, at least I was able to talk with him!

He obviously was ready for a fight when he called, and since that didn't happen, I think he was very relieved and at the end of the call went on and on about his five daughters, how he's been doing car repairs for 30 years and now doesn't want to deal with the public, so he only does repair work for friends (like the engine builder).

Anyway, let's see what happens next!

Sincerely,

Chris