[DeTomaso] shift linkage adjustment

Erik Anderson eanderson at geotracinternational.com
Mon Jun 8 13:54:37 EDT 2009

Tom,

Since dropping my powerplant back in a month ago, I have been tweaking with my shift linkage after every drive.  I agree with Jack and others that the turnbuckle is NOT the way to go.  Because I took the last "arm" of linkage off (from the trunion bearing to the ZF), I first had to make adjustments at the trunion bearing.  This involved using a hammer and an industrial wide-diameter chisel (steel) to bang the arm back to where I marked it.  Thankfully the splines lined up!

Since then, I have very easily adjusted the rear u-joint (where it attaches to the ZF).  My problem was an easy one to fix: I was having problems staying in 2nd/4th gear.  So, all I had to do was loosen the rear u-joint, bang it back a 1/4 or so (towards to the ZF) ... and I was done.  The last time I did this I REALLY tightened the u-joint bolt and I haven't had to make any adjustments since.

Best of luck,
EA