[DeTomaso] More time to plan

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Jun 7 19:47:46 EDT 2009

Let me make a clarification on the Crane systems.

There are -two- distinct ways to go in order to obtain Full Roller Rockers.

One:
Non-adjustable.  Special replacement pedastals are mounted beneath the
new full roller rocker and use a replacement bolt for the stock bolt.
These are tightened down to torque specs, are used on stock heads, do
-NOT- require guideplates or hardened pushrods.  I ran this style on my
Mach I many years ago.  This method requires you to shim the pedastal to
get the proper preload on the lifter when the bolt is torqued to spec.
This can be a tedious process.  As I recall, they also take a full
roller rocker designed for use with the pedestals (this may have
changed).  Larry Finch is the latest person I know who documented this
and I think he has photos on the POCA web gallery.

Two:
Fully adjustable full roller rockers.  This method replaces the stock
pedastal and rocker with a fully adjustable rocker arm.  There are two
ways to get to this point.  First way, you machine flat the pedastal
mounts on the head, then drill and tap to accept the proper size stud.
You add guideplates and use hardened pushrods.  This method is very
spendy -if- you can find a machine shop to do it.  (there are other
methods too by using a special cutter that mounts in the stud hole).
The second way is to buy a "guideplate kit" which Crane used to sell.
This uses individual guideplates and does not require machining the
pedastal mounts.  It uses a stud that is sized on one end to bolt down
the guideplate, and another size at the opposite end to use on the
rocker.  This method does not necessarily require hardened pushrods as
the guideplates include a replaceable (nylon or something similar)
grommet (of sorts).  Using hardened pushrods would be recommended though.

I have some photos of when I did this last to my Mach I (the photos are
small, taken with a 35mm camera, scanned and sized for an older web page).

Guideplates placed on pedastals:
http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/convkit1.jpg.html

Stud on guideplate (note the top end visible is a larger diameter than
what's threaded into the head.  This also shows the use of a capscrew
instead of the hex head head bolt.  This was for clearance to the
guideplate:
http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/newbolt.jpg.html

Note the pushrod goes through a second piece that is actually fitted to
the guideplate.
http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/rocker2.jpg.html
http://www.351c.info/gallery2/v/asajay/351C_Build_2001/rocker_ratio.jpg.html

Hope that clears up any confusion on the rockers and what is available
to do.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie