[DeTomaso] What's up with reverse

Matt matt at nwpantera.com
Sun Jun 7 11:19:12 EDT 2009

Ian,
Like they said, you're problem is likely clutch related. However just to mention the obvious, you want to make sure you start by always putting it in 1st gear and then a purposeful smooth motion into reverse from there. Never straight into reverse.
Good luck,
Matt
"I've always had a little trouble getting into reverse but now it seems a bit worse.  If I try with the engine running it grinds bad.  I can put it in reverse and then start the engine but the car slowly creeps backward with the clutch fully depressed.  All forward gears work perfectly  I put a new long throw slave in a couple of years back and it seemed to help, but now this.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated!"

Ian