[DeTomaso] shift linkage continued

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jun 4 22:45:49 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/4/09 19 38 40, tpoemer at gmail.com writes:

> So. I was unable to move the nut at the rear of the car.
>
>>>At the risk of asking the obvious, were you turning it in the correct
direction?   The one at the rear is turned to the right, to loosen it
(backwards from normal).

> I was able to move
> the nut towards the front. Before I started the shift lever would not move
> left of the 2nd-3rd plane, would not stay in 2nd gear and 4th gear. Only
> able to use 3rd and 5th. After I loosened the nut towards the front
> everything worked. Didn't have to move the turnbuckle Shift lever moves
> through all gears. What did I do?
>
>>>Have you tightened the nut back?   Because if not, the forward part of
the linkage is rotating, and the lever will move through all the slots in the
gate, but you're not really shifting the transaxle.   Moving it forward and
backwards will put it into *a* gear, but not the gear that you have
selected with the lever.

Assuming you have tightened everything back up again, you might want to
jack the back of the car up, start it up and run the thing through all the
gears to make sure it's working properly now?