[DeTomaso] coil resistor

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jun 2 23:16:12 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/2/09 19 38 15, scottcouchman at yahoo.com writes:

> I don't think the MSD ignition will work with less than 12V (or maybe
> 11.5v).
> I'm guessing you don't have 9v to the MSD.

Not to the MSD box itself, no.

In looking at the schematic, it seems that the MSD box is powered directly
from a 12V source with heavy-duty black and red wires; a smaller red wire
goes to the ignition switch (presumably this turns the box on and off).   The
wire from the ignition switch (on the later cars) is a resistor wire, but
since its job is fairly minimal, I suppose it doesn't matter that it's not
delivering the full 12v.   Hey, my car runs, so it must work!

I don't know where the heavy red wire is going on my car--probably it's
tied in to the main battery cable at the solonoid or something like that.