[DeTomaso] coil resistor

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jun 2 22:30:54 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/2/09 19 18 39, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I noticed that the resistor mounted on the fire wall between the coil and
> the voltage regulator had both wires attached to one terminal. I assume
> the
> mechanic who installed the MSD distributor joined both wires to the left
> hand pole and the right pole had no wire but still had the nut so it
> didn't
> come off by it's self. Is this normal for an MSD ignition. What purpose
> does
> the resistor serve?

I believe it's there to step down the voltage and keep from frying the
stock points in the distributor.   Since you no longer have points, there's no
need not to have the full 12v.   So the resistor is basically just acting
like a big white wire connector.   It could easily be removed and the wires
simply connected together.

The early cars had a porcelain resistor as you describe, while the later
cars use a resistor wire, built into the harness itself.

Which begs the question--what are the ramifications of continuing to use
this resistor wire with an MSD ignition?   My '72 came with the porcelain
resistor, but is now equipped with a '74 harness, and an MSD ignition.   I
suspect that the stock wiring is used, meaning that only 9 volts (I think?) is
flowing there.

Ideas?   Thoughts?