[DeTomaso] F/S: Fiero Seats for a Pantera, NEW

Douglas Kelm dakelm at qwest.net
Tue Jun 2 02:38:40 EDT 2009

Time to shill some more spare Pantera parts. A number of years ago, when I
had tired of the less than optimal stock Pantera seats, I decided to treat
myself to a pair of recovered Fiero seats for my '72 #2886. I procured a
pair of near mint early Riero seats (the ones with radio speakers in the
head rests - only available the first two years of Fiero production). These
seats were so nice that I was able to remove and resell the covers to a
Fiero owner who wanted to upgrade his original seats. If you are not
familiar with these seats, they were made for Pontiac by the Lear Corp and
are excellent seats in terms of comfort, style and quality of construction.
I recovered them with covers by Mr. MIkes, www.mrmikes.com , in his Vetter
style. The quality of these covers is suburb; easily the equal of any custom
covers you could have made to order. They feature black leather for the
seating surfaces and inner panels of the bolsters and black vinyl for the
backs and outer bolster panels. The center sections use a dimpled, waffle
pattern leather Mike calls his pistol grip option. I also designed and
fabricated mounting bars from 1/4 x 1 1/4 bar stock to interface between the
Fiero seats and the stock Pantera seat rails. So this is a plug-n-play
proposition. Also, the inner pivot point hardware of the passenger seat was
modified to maximize clearance between the seat and the e-brake housing.
This is critical because the Fiero seat is slightly wider than a stock seat
and the available space on the passenger side is much tighter than on the
driver's side. The Fiero seat is also a little thicker in the seat padding
area and consequently you will loose about 2 3/8 inch of headroom compared
to the stock seat. So if you are much taller than 5-10, I would not
recommend a Fiero conversion. Bottom line is: sit in your stock seat and
have a helper measure your existing headroom to determine if you will have
enough clearance with Fiero seats. Much to my shagrin, I was too tall to use
these outstanding seats and so they were never used in my car. I did install
them to check the alignment of the adapter mounting bars and check for
headroom, but that was the extent of their use. They are new and in mint
condition. I have posted nine pictures of these seats at my flicker web
page:

www.flickr.com/photos/dakelm/

I have these priced at $950 plus shipping. The covers alone are $747, which
means you are getting the like new seats, modifications, mounting adapter
bars all installed and ready to go for $203. I will even through in the
Fiero wiring pigtail which connects the speakers to the radio. Of course,
you may have to change the end connector to match your particular audio
installation.

Thanks for looking.

Doug Kelm