[DeTomaso] Exhaust Valve Not Closing?

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Jun 1 00:39:45 EDT 2009

I'll have to let the more experienced brains on the list jump in at this
point.  But if the noise is there one minute, then you let the car
breath for a while by not going anywhere, and then it stops.... it
sounds like a lifter is starving.

Yes, hydraulic lifters pump-up, but that doesn't mean they -stay- that
way.  At high rpm, you might be getting some bleed back which is
allowing the lifter to collapse.  My bet would then be a slightly bent
pushrod.  Follow my on this.

At high oil pressure when the lifter is pumped up, the clearance on the
pushrod is taken up and you have no noise.  As the oil warms with high
rpm, you get just enough bleed down on the lifter to open the gap on the
pushrod and you start to get some clattering, or ticking.  You let off
and the process reverses.

Of course, I honestly could be all wet on this idea too.  I've not
built, trashed or have quite enough experience to know for certain.  But
I enjoy learning from everyone on this list.

Let us know what you find,
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie