[DeTomaso] rear suspension survey

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Thu Jul 30 14:26:16 EDT 2009

-
>I am interested in members experience with modifications to the rear
>suspension on their Panteras. More specifically has anyone developed or know
>of a replacement for the roller bearings in the rear uprights. I know Dick
>Koch developed a modification using Timken roller bearings in 2000 but it
>apparently wasn't picked up as a popular modification. What is the consensus
>on the efficacy of the roller bearing in this application?
$$$$$ It used to be two choices: stock, which was inadequate when going with big wheels, tires and HP and increased cornering loads----or the Timken roller bearing upgrade, which was expensive, but effective. Now Mike seems to have found a third option, which sounds attractive. I don't know what the consensus is about the roller bearing efficacy, but I do know that I have not had any problems with either Pantera's roller bearings.

How many people
>have converted to CV joints and who's modification did you use?
$$$$$$ Not many I would wager. I do know that Dennis Quella sells a CV upgrade and he makes quality parts.

Did you
>switch because of the need for a more efficient transfer of power to the
>rear wheels or to simplify the rear wheel bearing or rotor replacement or
>for some other reason?
$$$$$ I switched because the prospect of indefinitely screwing around with the inadequate stock bearings was not appealing.

And lastly how many people have replaced components
>like A arms or up rights with Aluminum replacements? Did you change for
>looks, weight savings, improved ability to adjust the rear suspension , or
>for some other reasons?
$$$$$ I have custom front upper a arms for increased caster in one car. In the other one, modified bearings obtained the same positive caster effect. Aluminum replacements? I would change for a) improved function { please see the reports about the effectiveness of Pat Mical's trick Pantera suspension tested at LeMans by Patrick Hals last year--significantly better than stock } and b) decreased weight. Chasing after c) BLING, I had my a arms coated with aluminized ceramic for rust prevention, appearance and ease of maintanence. It was also cost effective: about $25 per A arm.

. This is not a formal survey I am just trying to get
>a feel for other owners feelings and experiences with this part of the car
>and where it stands in the hierarchy of modifications based on importance
>and the benefit / cost analysis of this type of modification.
$$$$$$$ Whatever you do with your bearings, assuming they have adequate function, then you can optimize your suspension with the usual basics: good bushings; max front postive caster, rear GTS sway bar with sphere ball mounts front and rear; new springs and adjustable shocks with four corner weighting and adjustment-----along with satisfactory brakes and good wheels and sticky tires...... uh,oh and proper alignment!

Warmest regards, Chuck Engles