[DeTomaso] Tech session last weekend?

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Wed Jul 29 16:21:24 EDT 2009

Why yes, yes I did.

Mine was the only Pantera being serviced, and the only one there.  One
friend showed up and did some work on a motorcycle fender as another
Pantera owner showed up and helped out on my car.  Later in the day,
another non-Pantera friend showed up for a couple of hours.  It was an
all-day affair with at least two folks working on the Pantera at any
given time.

Shelley did the barbecue and we had hot dogs, hamburgers and Tri-tip
marinated in wine and basted with a black bean sauce mixed with some
other spices.  Yumm.

The Beer cooler was half empty by the time we quit.

We managed to do a small number of items:
- Got the new starter mounted, now waiting on new cable boots before
hooking up wire.
- Installed new brake booster hose from the special buy a few months
ago.  This was a pain in the rear to get on the undercar tube but we
finally managed.
- We worked on routing the new water pipe and thermostat up front
using copper fittings.  Not sure my solder joints will hold but we
have it all mocked up now.  I need to buy more hose and finish it up.
- We talked about different ways to mount the new expansion tank.  I'm
having trouble making changes that are non-reversible on the car, so
we talked about a lot of different ways, but didn't actually do any
work.
- The gentleman who owns another Pantera, Daniel Giannini, took my
muffler with him to bead blast in his cabinet.  Before that, we
discussed the options of opening up the cans like the tech note on
Space City Panteras, or doing a modified version of what Mike Dailey
did from The Pantera Place.  Our objective is to open up the flow a
bit more without making it straight through.  We'll see how that works
out.
- We bled the brakes using the Motive pressure bleeder system.  That
went really quick.  We then tried it on the clutch master, but could
not get it to work on the CNC aftermarket in my car.  I may buy a new
CNC cap for it (about $9) and build an adapter.  Try as me might, we
couldn't get the clutch bled, but thankfully (due to responses on this
list) I got it a couple nights ago.
- We talked a bit about wiring the fan relays, which will turn out to
be very much like stock but using newer relays.

I have a whole list of items that still need to be done and will host
a few more days in the very near future.  Items left on my short list
to drive:
- Adjust clutch
- Re-assemble center console, ammeter and heater switch.
- mount mufflers, after modification
- Install half-shafts, wheels and tires
- Finish plumbing cooling system
- Change valve stem seals and keepers
- Install Alternator, engine hatch and bulkhead cover.

Sorry no photos, we just hit it and didn't stop until late.

I'm not sure how far away you are Nolan, but you'd be more than
welcome to come by.

Asa Jay