[DeTomaso] Holley Carb jet extension-stalls on braking

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 29 01:03:19 EDT 2009

For what it's worth...

I made an angled spacer out of a 2" plastic (phenolic) spacer.  I didn't want to cut the intake.  It's a relatively rare A331 intake for A3 heads - Torker style.  It's worth more with the angle, and I plan on selling it one of these days.

At any rate, I was going to just bend the studs.  I didn't want to redrill the intake.  Remember, I want to sell this intake?  The bent studs didn't work so well.  I tried installing the studs at the normal angle.  The carb fit fine, with normal nuts and normal washers.  I was worried that the nuts would be at a weird angle, but it wasn't very bad at all.

The carburetor studs don't have to provide a ton of clamping force.  As some have said, the carb studs are only there to hold the carb in place when the engine isn't running.

If I planned on keeping this intake long-term, I would have milled it flat, though.  I mostly wanted to see if the stalling problem would go away if the carb were leveled.