[DeTomaso] Oil Gauge Reading

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 26 21:08:24 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/26/09 18 01 9, spleen at spamcop.net writes:

> My oil gauge is not working correctly on my Pantera.  When the key is in
> the accessory position, the needle goes below zero.  Then, when I start
> the car, it pegs at full scale immediately.  What is the most likely
> culprit here: sending unit, gauge, or the wire between them?  Does
> anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot this?  Thanks for any and
> all help.

Sounds like you have the wrong sending unit.   They are externally
identical, but internally quite different.   The one for an idiot light is an on/off
switch.   That's why it sends your gauge from zero to pegged.   The one for
a gauge is linear in its output.

Trot on down to your local parts store and you'll find what you need for
about twelve bucks.   Just tell 'em it's for a '72 Mustang with an oil
pressure GAUGE and not a light. :>)