[DeTomaso] DICK RUZZIN / First running Mangusta

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 26 18:25:42 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/26/09 14 17 22, dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

> Does anyone know the history of the gold Mangusta that toured the Monte
> Carlo Grande Prix track in the late 60s with Grace Kelly riding in it?
>
> It had a sunroof and photos later appeared with a black snap-fill gas cap
> on the passenger side.  It must have been one of the first running cars and
> had different proportions than the production version as well as some
> different details both front and back.

Dick,

That is the original prototype Mangusta, which the De Tomaso family still
owns.   It has subtle detail differences as you mention (for instance the
rear bumpers don't have any provisions for the license plate light, and the
quarter windows in the gullwing hatches are hinged at the rear, for no good
reason that I can see), and it was the only car built with a sunroof as far as
I know.   The proportions of the body panels are probably the same, but the
car looks different due to the incredibly huge rear tires fitted to it.

It was originally a non-runner, but after Mangusta production got started,
it was retroactively turned into a fully operational car.   When a
non-runner, the instrument panel was covered with a single piece of glass, but when
they made it operational they equipped it with a standard interior.

That car was in the De Tomaso museum for years, and right now it's standing
looking very forlorn in a garage on the outskirts of Modena.   I can send
you some photos of the car if you like?