[DeTomaso] CNC Clutch, problems bleeding

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Jul 26 14:21:59 EDT 2009

Well I guess it's my turn.

The clutch on my Pantera worked just fine the last I drove it.  I've had
the ZF out to safety wire the ring gear.  I replaced the clutch
pressure plate with a virtually identical unit.  I had the disc
re-lined.  I had the flywheel resurfaced.  The problem is not with the
clutch, it's with the master/slave actuation.

I pulled the slave, cleaned and reassembled it.  I had the master out,
cleaned and reassembled it.  I replaced the red flex line with a new
braided stainless from Pantera Performance.  I blew out the entire line
with shop air.

So now I'm ready to fill the lines with fluid and adjust the clutch.
Only problem is, I can't seem to get fluid in the lines.  There is no
resistance on the pedal at all, and fluid is not leaving the master.
Nothing is coming out the other end.  There is no fluid leakage into the
passenger compartment.  It just baffles the mind.

I can't get a pressure bleeder on it (though I've tried, I don't have
the proper cap).  The master is a CNC unit that was new 10 years ago.
The cup seal and o-ring appear to be in good shape.  I just can't build
any pressure.

With two others at the house yesterday we took it all apart blew it all
out, inspected and re-assembled (twice now).  We are stumped.

Thoughts?

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie