[DeTomaso] Window Seal

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jul 26 11:15:09 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/26/09 6:01:35 AM, threemacs at aol.com writes:

> My question is how bad could it be to reuse my old seal if it is not
> damaged?

As long as the old seal is fairly soft, it should be re-useable; I've had
our '72s out twice and I reused the the OEM seal each time. But if you want a
leak-free windshield, be sure the installer understands to run a small bead
of windshield silicone under the lip edge of the seal, all the way around
the seal-to-body area, including across the top. Do not add the chrome trim
until the silicone is in place and cured; installing the chrome early makes
adding the silicone much more difficult. Not using silicone almost guarantees
a water leak somewhere. It won't leak in the glass-to-seal area, but it
will in the seal-to-body area.
And it MUST be windshield silicone, not the stuff from Ace hardware.
Windshield silicone exhudes a gaseous material during cure that evaporates, while
hardware store silicone exhudes acetic acid (vinegar smell) which will cause
corrosion under the seal. Finally, before installing anything, be sure the
windshield channel is not badly pitted- especially the lower channel area
near the dashboard. If it is, wire-brush it clean; if the pits go clear thru
the body, braze them up even if that means removing the dash to do it. Then,
primer the heck outa the area before adding the seal, glass and silicone.
All this is not a simple job. Good luck- J Deryke