[DeTomaso] Steering rack lube

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jul 24 10:36:34 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/24/09 5 04 7, ksimback at cfl.rr.com writes:

> I had a leak in one of the tie rod boots on my steering rack that
> resulted
> in the loss of a significant amount (appears to be about an ounce or more)
> of the lubricant.  I have replaced the boot.  Is there a way to replenish
> the gear oil without removing the steering rack from the car?

Yes--you can jack the car up on one side, which willl cause the remaining
oil to run down into the other boot.   You can then remove the high boot and
dribble replacement oil in.

The rack is supposed to have 5.3 ounces inside.   However, realize that oil
is an especially poor choice for this application, since when the car is at
rest, normally the tie rods are drooping somewhat, so the oil pools in the
rubber boots and leaves the rack more or less unlubricated.   That's why the
manufacturers switched from oil to very light (zero-weight) grease in later
years.   (The new factory racks come from the manufacturer packed with
grease, not oil).

That change would require removing and dismantling the rack, so if you're
not up for that, then 80/90 gear oil is the way to go.   Make sure both of
your boots are in good shape, and the hose clamps are as tight as possible.
Note that the smaller hose clamp (on the tie rod itself) can often bottom
out before the boot is really tight on the tie rod, which is what probably
caused yours to leak out.   New hose clamps (if not new boots) may be a
solution there.

Also, although the spec is for 5.3 oz, I don't think it would hurt to
overfill the rack slightly.

Good luck. :>)