[DeTomaso] Distributor gear

Scott Couchman scottcouchman at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 04:31:52 EDT 2009

J.C. Olsen, I recently converted from a bronze gear to a Ford Motorsport
steel gear on my steel hydraulic roller rocker Comp Cam in my Cleveland. I
had gone through a couple of bronze gears in a few thousand street miles. I
researched the composite gear option and located the manufacturer of the
gears used in ALL the Nascar motors. They make lots of Chevy gears and a few
Ford gears. Unfortunately, they do not make a gear for the Cleveland and as
of about 6 months ago, they had no plans of tooling up to make one. I
understand the steel gear is no longer being manufactured, but a local
distributor shop was able to locate two NOS gears still on a shelf at a speed
shop in Florida. He bought both gears ($150 each!) and I was able to get one
of them. I believe the second gear has been sold also to a local engine
builder. Bottom line, there are a few of these gears out there still and you
can find them with some digging. Good luck. Scott