[DeTomaso] Seat Rollers

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Thu Jul 23 01:21:53 EDT 2009

Jeff,

Here's what I think know about replacing seat  rollers:

Remove the seats.
Flip them over and force each rail to the  end of it's  travel.
Pry out the old roller from one end.
Move the  rails to the other end of the travel.
Pry the second old roller  out.

Make four new rollers from aluminum, brass, polyurethane, or  nylon  1 inch
round stock with a width to suit the rails.
Drill a  3/8 inch hole thru the center of the side of each  roller.
Get 4 fairly  soft compression springs of approximately 3/8 x 1 1/8  from
the
local  hardware store.
Put a spring in each roller center hole.
Compress the  springs and insert the rollers in the  rails.

Reinstall the  seats.

Refinements:

My OEM rails were coated with grease which had  turned to glue  over 30
years.
I cleaned off the glue and reassembled  the rails without  grease. I don't
thing the rails will wear out from  sliding.

You may want to custom fit the diameters of the rollers to  suit  each
rail.
The rails are not fabricated with high precision. 1  inch rollers  worked
OK in
my rails.

The absolute size of the  hole in the rollers is not critical  but the
spring
diameter needs to  match the hole you drill. The purpose of the  spring
allows
the roller  to roll and slide easily in the track, yet keeps  the roller
from
rattling around.

Have fun,

SOBill Taylor