[DeTomaso] original block question

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Wed Jul 22 20:36:38 EDT 2009

Dear Chris,

            You wrote:

> I have a new motor in my Pantera, and was told I should keep the old one in case someone ever wants to buy the car and have the original motor included in the sale (for increased resale value).
>
> 1) Is this a good idea, or because Panteras are so often modified anyway, is it a moot point?

$$$$$$  Is it a good idea because it is always a good idea to have a spare engine.    The vast majority of potential Pantera buyers will not be terribly interested in the "original motor".   They will be primarily interested in a potent and reliable engine with well engineered and assembled modifications that will permit the Pantera's new buyer to "kick butt" with it.

> 2) If it is a good idea to keep the original, can I sell all the parts except the block and be OK, or are there other engine parts I need to keep so it will still be classified as "the original engine?"

$$$$$$  If you have the storage space, then keep the entire engine.   If space is at a premium and you're not very concerned with the other engine parts, then I would recommend keeping the short block since all the stock intake and heads can be easily purchased in new and improved form.   The hard part of Cleveland engine replacement is finding a block and then finding a good sound block to build with.

                                Warmest regards, Chuck Engles