[DeTomaso] Pressure Plates

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Mon Jul 20 18:02:31 EDT 2009

I was figuring about this clamping force a bit.
Somone talked about heavy pressure plate springs
putting loads on axial crank bearings. Therefore
never depressing the clutch during start ups.
I was putting a new heavy diaphragm clutch in my
car and noticed that the leverage of the multiply
"arms" was way greater than that of a long style
plate. Now, this needed a slave that
had 1 and 1/2 of throw!!! Making the pedal back
to stiff again.

Now, the point is, as this plate need LESS pressure
on the arms there should be only half the load on
the crank bearing. But twice the arm travel.
Of course, the load within the clutch combo is still
VERY great therefore needing a solid housing.

Not bad for saving crank and release beraings, isn’t
it?
Goran