[DeTomaso] observations about the high cost of health care

Lynn Wall cars at wt-inc.com
Mon Jul 20 12:15:34 EDT 2009

As a former healthcare consultant with a specialty in government
reimbursement and compliance I could not agree more.  Here is my story.

I am at home waiting for a repairman to arrive when I get a call telling me
that my 11 year old son just wiped out snowboarding and was presently
strapped to a back board and needed to be "rushed" to the hospital and they
needed me to ride with him.  I asked how it happened and this was what they
told me.  "he was boarding down the hill when he wiped out.  He got up and
boarded the rest of the way down the hill never issuing a complaint.  They
stopped for lunch and he complained of a sore neck.  A paramedic was walking
by, asked him what happened, he told them, next thing he knows is they are
strapping him down to the board."  I tell the person on the phone to un
strap him and let him get on his way (I'm a firm believer in rubbing dirt on
it and walking it off).  They said they could not since he was already
"under treatment".  I told them they better figure another way out because I
was 35 miles away.  They said we was not crying and I said it was because he
was not hurt, they even asked him and he said he was not hurt.  Long story
short, wife shows up sees her cute little boy strapped to a board crying
now.  1 hour ambulance drive to the emergency room, 3 hours now on the back
board they start a long series of x-rays and MRI.  5 hours on the back board
they finally decide he is okay but they were going to send him home in a
neck brace.  I was fuming mad and said no.  "Why not?????" they asked.  I
said that they brace would be about $700 and NOTHING WAS WRONG!!!!!!!.  I
told my kid to move and turn his head...he did....no pain and $3,500 later
they believed me.  This seemed like the ambulance chasers were.....well....
the ambulance drivers and the hospital.

Later I found out that the ski resort has a terrain park that is locally
referred to as the "trauma park".  There are so many injuries there that the
paramedics are permanently stationed there during the ski season.  I have
since stopped blaming the ambulance drivers considering the volume of
injuries they see.  But the hospital was running every test (like the good
doctor mentioned below) regardless of the results of the prior test.  Each
test I protested vehemently.  In the end I had to physically remove my child
from the hospital.

I firmly believe that number 2 below is the chief driver of healthcare
costs.  The doctors are just protecting themselves but a couple of things
are still true: Kids fall, good people die and our taxes will SKYROCKET and
the quality of care will PLUMMET under any of the governmental plans being
offered.  Just check Massachusetts and the latest lawsuit filed by a
hospital against the state because hospitals and providers become the
clearing house for funding deficits.

Lynn