[DeTomaso] NPT Interesting Observation on Health Care Costs

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Sat Jul 18 15:00:02 EDT 2009

Having been in the hospital "bizz" for 16 years, my opinion is:

Gov't regulation (JCAHO standards) are the foremost cause of high costs.

The only viable way to get medicare payments is for an institution to be
JCAHO accredited.  These "standards" are changed on a yearly basis and are
more and more costly to meet.  e.g. = the workload in our office will
probably triple this year.  One more FTE (full time employee) and 200,000
software package~if we are lucky.  Or we will be buried and not meet
standards?

Possibly 1/2 of the employees (not counting environmental services/food)
work to meet these standards.  The standards are in the name of "patient
care".

Of course, I'm happy to have a job and a Pantera . . .thanks!