[DeTomaso] Booster talk

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Sat Jul 18 14:08:49 EDT 2009

Ken,

I've been running Porsche calipers for a couple of years now, with Wilwood
rotors and Coleman billet hats. I am also using the CNC dual M/C - balance
bar setup (from Pantera Performance) without a booster. The pedal pressure
is OK but I'm about to try a smaller front M/C to see if I can lighten up
the pedal a bit. Tilton, Wilwood and most other M/C's will bolt-up to the
CNC unit; however, if you want to use M/C's from other manufacturers,  be
prepared to duplicate CNC's "short" pushrod. I went with the CNC unit
because I wanted to use dual M/C's but I also wanted to retain the OE
Pantera pedal assy. I also thought I might encounter trunk lid clearance
issues with Tilton or Wilwood units. I saw one Pantera with a Tilton pedal
assy. but he mounted his reservoirs remotely, which I didn't want to do. I'm
using Brembo parking brake calipers from a Stop Tech Audi S4 kit. They work
unbelievably well, which is good because they were $$$. I'm using Axxis
Deluxe pads because they've got great initial bite and zero brake dust, but
when I change, I'll probably try Hawk or Ferodo DS 2500.

Originally, I had Sierra racing calipers but decided to switch to my current
calipers. I only switched calipers, as I already had Wilwood/Coleman rotors.
If I had been starting from scratch, I would have used the OEM Porsche
rotors from the same 911 (993 C4S and Turbo, if I recall) that your "Big
Red" calipers are from. At the front, the rotors would need to either be
re-drilled or have different hats made (Porsche uses two piece rotors on the
front) and the rears can be re-drilled to the Ford bolt pattern. This is
what Movit (Germany) does, only they ask a "zillion" dollars for their kit.
I'd also use a parking brake caliper from Hi-Spec, in the UK
(http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/calipers/sva_spot.htm), rather than the
Brembo. In fact, I'd probably use Hi-Spec calipers, rather than the Porsche
items, all around !

Good luck with your project.

>Chris Difani and several of us are working on systems using big Porsche
(made by Brembo) calipers.  We have looked at sizes for MCs and it's >not
black magic.  We should have two or more cars running around in the next two
or three months, and can report on the results.

>We are using dual MC pedal assemblies, and at least the Wilwood and Tilton
assemblies use a standard MC.  They are available in 1/16 >graduations from
5/8 to an inch or more, so there is plenty of room to get the right size.
I'm not sure that the bolt pattern is on the CNC >Racing Pantera duel MC
setup, I think CNC Brakes does NOT have a big selection of sizes.  Tilton,
Wilwood, AP Racing etc, make a bunch of MCs >with the same bolt patten.

>Also, the stock pedal assembly (designed for boost) is about 5: 1 pedal
ratio, and the aftermarket pedal assemblies (designed for NO boost) >are
typically 6.5:1.