[DeTomaso] Stalling

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 18 00:20:35 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/17/09 18 45 39, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> I wonder if the fuel in my float bowls is sloshing around, suffocating the
> carb? Is the fuel pump not keeping up (and starving the fuel supply)?

It's a pretty common problem, caused by the rear float being set too high,
and fuel sloshing from the vent tube into the carburetor and flooding the
engine under braking.

The conventional wisdom for setting float bowl height assumes that the
carburetor is level.   However, unless you've machined the top of your intake
flat (or purchased a dedicated Pantera intake with a flat top), your carb is
tilted nose-down, which throws all that conventional wisdom out of whack.
Apparently you have to set the rear float level lower than you would
otherwise to compensate.

On my GT350 I had the same problem, even though the carb was level.   I
fixed it by connecting the two float bowl vents with a piece of fuel hose with
a hole cut out of the top of it.   That way, under heavy braking, fuel that
sloshed through the vent would slosh from the rear chamber into the forward
one; the hole in the top of the hose ensure proper venting action.   Fixed
the problem for good that way.