[DeTomaso] Stubbon Heater valve removal

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Wed Jul 15 12:38:46 EDT 2009

Hi Chris
Sorry to hear that the O ring you got from Canada did not work for you.
It has become obvious to me that there are at least two distinctly different
heater valves used in cars produced 1971-74.
I don't recall if you sent me a photo of your original valve? I thought I
sent you one of mine? The O rings worked well for me and I'm puzzled at how
you got the wrong ones. The one in my April 1972 pre-L is very diffent from
the one shown in the article on Mike Dailey's site. If you still have your
original valve, could you send me a photo please? Maybe we can still get it
fixed up for you.
Barry

----

I ordered what I thought was the correct O ring from a place in Canada.
After waiting four or five months for it to arrive, I finally gave up and
replaced the valve with a NOS unit that fit, I believe, a 1971 or '72
Javelin (when the O ring finally arrived, it wasn't the right one).  I had
to use rubber hose and hose clamps to attach the new valve to the copper
tube coming down from under the dash, pushing up the nut out of the way and
not using it.  The nut's angled surface did not seat with the AMC unit, even
though it appeared as if it would (don't ask me how I found that out!)

The system has worked fine for the last couple of years, although replacing
the O rings in the original valve would have probably been easier.

Sincerely,

Chris