[DeTomaso] water injection

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 23:06:15 EDT 2009

I also lived with a Spearco 'computerized' water injection system for quite
a few years. It had a small microprocessor to operate the built-in pump and
was the best they offered at the time but it wasn't perfect. Several
problems that Chuck didn't mention:
* It came with a single aluminum jet which quickly corroded shut in both
plain and distilled water. So I made a jet out of brass which fixed the
corrosion. You also had to keep all added fluids very clean 'cause the jet opening
is only 0.022". Tiny weed seeds or dust plugged the jet.
* The microprocessor occasionaly quit- I went thru three before giving up
on Spearco (about the time they discontinued mfgr). Once, the thing stuck
OPEN, dumping the reservoir's full 2 qts of water into the engine in less than
a minute. I didn't know what had happened other than power went away altho
the engine kept running. Others on the car tour 100 miles from home told me
my exhaust looked like a steam engine. I was lucky the engine didn't
hydraulic!
* After 5 yrs, the little DC pump & motor, built integral with the
reservoir tank, simply fell apart. By that time, Spearco was out of business and no
spare parts could be found (this was pre-E-Bay).

Ak Miller the So-Cal turbo-guru sold Spearcos and dealt with their problems
as best he could. Water injection was on everything 'performance' except
drag racers- a Boss 429 Mustang with the NASCAR engine (so said the door tag)
had a Spearco; the owner told us 'it didn't like running on only 98 octane'
and he couldn't afford to run Sunoco 102 at 8 mpg. My Weber-carbed Corvair
had one and quite a few turbo engines had water injection, including the
factory-turbo 215 Olds V-8 in '62- this needed water injection to deliver any
boost. There was an interlock that opened the integral wastegate if the
'turbo-fluid' bottle went dry. Cutting-edge technology at the time.   FWIW- J
Deryke