[DeTomaso] twin turbo pantera on ebay

Dan Mixon tipo874 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 20:00:32 EDT 2009

The Buick Special and Olds F-85 Cutlass used a 215 cu in aluminum V-8 in
1961, 1962 and 1963. The engine was available in the Pontiac Tempest in 1961
and 1962. In 1962 the Olds F-85 4 bbl version could be optioned with a turbo
charger. The 5 psi boost turbo charged "Jetfire" bumped the horsepower from
185 to 215. It used "Turbo Rocket Fluid", a 50/50 mixture of distilled water
and methyl alcohol, injected during boost to suppress detonation. The turbo
engine was unreliable from an owner's standpoint. They would forget to add
the "Turbo Rocket Fluid" and detonate the engine to death or would use
faucet water and clog the injector nozzles and detonate the engine to death.
GM sold the rights to the engine to Rover in 1965. The engine was used in
quite a few British cars and is still used in the Land Rover.

One of the tricks used by drag racers in the '60's was to use a fuel line
coiled in a can right before the carb. Ice would be added to the can to cool
the fuel.