[DeTomaso] Heater blower motor

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 13:59:49 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/14/09 10:32:26 AM, lplugw at hotmail.com writes:

> It looks like I'm going to have to get the dash out. Jack's in situ
> method looks like a real pita and I think I'd have to remove a hose and waste my
> charge of R-12 to boot.
> Anyone care to share the details of the removal of a late L dash?

I described the dash removal in POCA July '99 newsletter article with
photos, when I ruptured one of the A/C evaporator's copper lines and had to
completely remove the heater/AC box. The dash comes out with only a few screws
(once the steering column is dropped, the gove box is removed, the tach
pulled, the emergency flasher removed and the gauge console is removed, plus a few
specific wires). To do what you want, the dash does not have to be
completely removed from the car, only unscrewed and pulled back across the seatbacks
for access to the blowr motor. Putting it back in is a mess- its hard to
say which of the options is a bigger PITA. I actually had our dash out twice
(second time to install two fresh air vents in the cowl), making me some sort
of masochist, I guess...
If you don't have that article or can't access it on the POCA website, Mike
Daily's website also has a description of the major moves associated with
pulling the dash. Once in there, you can also replace the incredibly fragile
tubes that carry air to the defrosters, make or buy new foam doughnuts to
seal the dash to the evaporator box and a few other little maintenence chores.
Good luck- J Deryke