[DeTomaso] Blue smoke

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jul 13 15:42:10 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/13/09 8:53:38 AM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:
snip.....
> I noticed a puff of blue smoke coming out of 1 side as he was shifting
> (off throttle). No smoke when he was on the throttle.

Blow-by, which indicates worn rings or bad valveguide seals as the hgh
vacuum sucks oil into the combustion chanber(s). A leak-down test will tell
which it is- or if its something else (long-distance diagnosis is tricky. Heck,
hands-on diagnosis is bad enough!). Note this is NOT a simple compression
test!
Bad seals ideally results in a top-end valve job with the heads off; worn
rings means a block-out-do-everything complete overhaul. I suggest getting a
second block (or complete engine) and playing with that while the original
continues to be driven. Then you don't waste the summer driving season
wrenching. Good luck- J Deryke