[DeTomaso] Heater blower motor

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jul 13 15:15:18 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/13/09 4:58:03 AM, lplugw at hotmail.com writes:

> How much fun are they to get out from under the dash? Doesn't look too
> bad. How do the blower outlets tie into the heater box? Anything special to
> watch out for so I don't snap off some piece of plastic somewhere?

They are a bitch to remove with the dash in place, mostly because of the
position you must get your body to access the area, but it can be done; I have
done this twice. Being young, flexible and poor helps immensely. The cuts,
abrasions and bruises healed up quickly. It's a whole lot easier with the
dashboard out but that operation also has its problems.

First, one fan housing must be removed. Along the top of the fan housings
are 3 small Phillips screws. Thee isn't much clearance so you'll need a
stubby Phillips driver. There are no screws on the bottom- the housing simply
hooks in place.   You'll need a visual map of where the screws are 'cause
they're invisible-you're doing this by touch.
Second, remove two screws holding the split-clamp, which holds the fan
motor in place.
Third, unclamp the innermost impeller from the motor shaft (looks like a
small fuel hose corbin-clamp) and remove the motor, then the impeller. The
squirrel-cage impellers are made of a very brittle plastic so be extremely
careful when extracting & inserting the assembly. If you crack an impeller
blade, the balance is thrown off and you will get lots of noise and vibration.
Fourth, removing the impellers from the shaft is simple, but they can be
reassembled in two ways- and one of those will not pump air (I had to remove
the assembly a second time to reverse the impellers. Reversing the DC leads
does not fix this- the blades are unidirectional). So mark the impeller
positions before removal.
There are several replacement motors available -'Fridgette' makes one that
works well (see Steve Hawkins' article - POCA Newsletter Aug 2004- but he
removed the dash to do it). The vendors also have new replacement motors in
stock. John L Austin wrote a how-to-remove article for P.I in the early '80s
(unknown edition) that shows the whole job in detail, with illustrations, of
how to do this without removing the dash. After all the trouble removing the
assembly, in disassembling the stock motor he found one brush that had
'hung up' so for him it was a no-cost/high-effort fix. If you are not young &
flexible, pull the dash or pay someone to do this. Good luck- J Deryke