[DeTomaso] Break pedal height

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 13 12:00:54 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/13/09 5 28 3, threemacs at aol.com writes:

> My break pedal height is set even with the accelerator pedal.

> Sometimes when I get on the gas my foot clips the break pedal.

> Should the break pedal be set higher?
>
> Or is it set correctly for quick transition to the break?
>

>>>The problem is caused by the kick panel intruding from the side,
unnecessarily reducing the amount of space available for your feet.   It pushes
your foot over to the left, so that you are clipping the brake pedal when
you're on the gas.   The problem is especially acute with the early interiors
(with a two-pod dashboard), as the kick panels weren't contoured at all.   The
later panels were more robust, and also had a molded-in whoop to the inside
in an attempt to provide greater footroom, but even these need help.

The solution is VERY simple.   If you kneel alongside your car, and place
your hand on the kick panel alongside the gas pedal and push inwards toward
the centerline of the car, you'll probably find at least a couple of inches
of movement before it strikes something solid (the center chassis tunnel).
That is unacceptable.

All it takes is a single long sheetmetal screw and a fender washer.
Remove the kickpanel so you can get an idea of the geography behind it, and
locate an optimum location where you can place a screw to the greatest effect
without hitting anything (in truth there's a lot of nothing going on in the
immediate area in question and you're safe putting the screw just about
anywhere, but you don't want to put it someplace where your foot will clip it).
Then put the panel back in location, drill a hole through the panel and into
the chassis, and affix it with the sheetmetal screw.

Here's a photo of my car so-modified.   It came out perfectly and works
great!

You can see the curve of the late-style kick panel, just before the
throttle pedal.   Because of the rigidity of the panel, the screw could afford to
be fairly close to the floor and still have maximum effect.   You may find
with an early-style panel that the screw needs to be located a bit higher in
order to be effective.

If I took the time to paint the washer and screw, this modification would
be all but completely invisible.   But I wanted to photograph it first.   Now
that I have done so (two years after installing it), maybe I should do
something about that, eh? :>)