[DeTomaso] New DB Starter broke before it even got used.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 13 02:35:02 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/12/09 9 01 21, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> I picked up some longer studs for the replacement starter yesterday and
> promptly installed them.  I then got the starter in and began hooking up
> wires.  As I was tightening the positive battery cable, the stud broke
> right off before I even had any torque on it.  So now, I'm left with a
> brand new starter and a stud on the solenoid that is too short to use.

Been there, done that with one of Dennis Quella's starters.   The stud is
the weak link; it's actually an ordinary bolt that drops into a
bolt-head-shaped recess on the inside of the solonoid body.   When you tighten it down,
the solonoid body just snaps and the thing is ruined.

Mine broke at the track in Vegas last year; I mentioned it to Dennis
Quella, and a few days after I got home, a new solonoid appeared at my doorstep,
gratis.

Good guy, that Dennis!