[DeTomaso] Stubbon Heater valve removal

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Jul 13 00:13:32 EDT 2009

I got the heater valve removed today.  Earlier in the day I took a small
thin woven shop towel and soaked a four inch strip with some penetrating
oil.  I wrapped it around the joint and did other odd jobs for a couple
of hours.  Coming back, I made sure I had a good grip on the valve and
attempted to turn -it- instead of the threaded fitting on the copper
line.  It came loose beautifully with a little nudge of torque.  Once
loose it came apart smoothly.

Off to the bench where I took it all apart, cleaned and re-assembled
it.  It moves very smooth now, almost too smooth.  I'm worried the
o-ring isn't going to seal the cylinder anymore.  The o-ring was in good
shape, but maybe it's a little shrunk.  It offered no resistance when
re-assembling.

Has anyone had luck sourcing a new o-ring for the heater valve locally,
like at Napa?

Thanks,
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired