[DeTomaso] Notes from Asa Jay's garage

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 11 01:32:01 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/10/09 22 05 31, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> - Removed steering wheel for <another reason>, found I didn't have the
> proper step-washer to prevent the snap-ring from coming off the forward
> end of the shaft.
>
>>>That's a curious washer; it has a groove machined in it that mates with
the snap ring.   You won't find that at your corner hardware store.

> Also found my last assembly job sucked; my part stack
> up (washers and springs) was wrong.  Ordered parts, waiting to
> re-assemble.
>
>>>Many cars have a bunch of play between the top bearing and the shaft.
Pantera Performance Center sells a beautiful drop-in aluminum deal which is
a tight fit against the steering shaft, and mates with the inner surface of
the bearing.   Once compressed by the assembly of the spring, turn signal
cam etc., it positively centers the shaft and eliminates the play.   Beautiful
thing.

If you haven't already included that in your parts order, you might as well
do so now.

> - Found the Pantera headers.... and a spare pair of stock manifolds:
> Headers:
> http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&
> view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2811
>
>>>Those are Hall Pantera headers.   They look a bit hokey but reportedly
are actually quite excellent on the dyno, small collector notwithstanding.
Significantly, they are the only headers that will bolt to stock tailpipes
without modification.

Installation on the engine can be a challenge due to their lack of a common
flange.   If your motor is still in the car, you could order up a set of
351C header flanges:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford-Boss-351C-Header-Flanges,8049.html

then cut the individual flanges off your headers, bolt the flanges to your
heads, locate the headers where you like them, and tack them in place.   The
best thing to do would then be to bolt them to a spare 351C head and then
weld them all around.

On the other hand, maybe yours fit okay, in which case never mind. :>)

> Spare stock exhaust:
> http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&
> view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2808
> Anyone want to make me a reasonable offer on the stock manifolds?
> Anyone even -looking- for stock manifolds?
>
>>>No. :>)

I've got some too, in the same style, and roughly similar condition.

I don't know why.

> - Photos of the gummy bear muffler hangers:
> http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&
> view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2792
> http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&
> view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2796
> ... and yes, all the proper hardware -is- in place on both sides.
> Still, the drivers side simply stretched into goo.
>
>>>That just shows what happens when people ditch the proper rubber hangers
and try to substitute polyurethane junk.   Given that the stock ones are so
laughably cheap from International Auto Parts (they are an Alfa Romeo part)
there's no excuse for running around with that crap on the car.

And speaking of that--since you are pulling your exhausts anyway, a little
time spent with a wire wheel, and then a couple of cans of satin black
header paint would go a LONG way towards transforming the appearance of your car
from the rear. :>)

> >- Interesting find when I removed the passenger side splash shield.  No
> attaching bracket:
> http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&
> view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2802
> Well, not entirely true, it -was- bolted to the shield, and the shield
> was flush with the wheel well opening.  I don't think that is correct.
>
>>>You are correct--it's not correct. :>)

> >It appears the bracket was lightly tack welded about four inches in or
> so, like this:
> http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&
> view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2805
> I need some advice on this one.

two places).  The location shown in your photo seems correct, although I
think that's a lot less than four inches?   My car has factory replacement
rocker panels, so there's no telling if the bracket was affixed in the proper
location, but I'd guess mine to be more like two inches in.   Maybe it's a
perspective thing, but your photo seems to show a similar location.

Was your shield properly bolted in up top?   If not, that would explain why
the bracket broke away from the inside of the rocker down below.