[DeTomaso] Notes from Asa Jay's garage

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Jul 11 01:05:55 EDT 2009

Short list tonight.

- Used Hondabond without a gasket on the ZF cover plate.  Added three
quarts of gear lube (waiting on the last one-half quart), three nights
ago.  Still no leaks.  Happy camper.

- Working on a bracket system to hold the sucker fans to the radiator.
Done.  However, I now need to have the system leak tested.  Details
after the leak test.

- Removed steering wheel for <another reason>, found I didn't have the
proper step-washer to prevent the snap-ring from coming off the forward
end of the shaft.  Also found my last assembly job sucked; my part stack
up (washers and springs) was wrong.  Ordered parts, waiting to re-assemble.

- I can't get the heater valve removed.  It seems stuck tight to the
fitting.  I'm afraid of breaking the copper tubing that disappears into
the heater box.  Advice?

- My new expansion tank arrived almost two weeks sooner than expected.
A quick look and it appears it just -might- bolt to the exact mount the
stock overflow tank sits on.  I'll let you know.

- Found the Pantera headers.... and a spare pair of stock manifolds:
Headers:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2811
Spare stock exhaust:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2808
Anyone want to make me a reasonable offer on the stock manifolds?
Anyone even -looking- for stock manifolds?

- Photos of the gummy bear muffler hangers:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2792
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2796
... and yes, all the proper hardware -is- in place on both sides.
Still, the drivers side simply stretched into goo.

- Interesting find when I removed the passenger side splash shield.  No
attaching bracket:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2802
Well, not entirely true, it -was- bolted to the shield, and the shield
was flush with the wheel well opening.  I don't think that is correct.
It appears the bracket was lightly tack welded about four inches in or
so, like this:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2805
I need some advice on this one.

Thanks,