[DeTomaso] Poor brakes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 11 00:46:00 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/10/09 12 45 46, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Now, if it was a totally enclosed system.  If you increased the
> pressure on once side it should move the shuttle versus the lower
> pressure on the other side.  However,  I've been told that liquids do
> not compress, so no matter how high you change the pressure on one
> side, in a totally enclosed system, I don't think you'd get any
> movement of the shuttle.

This has become rather academic, but if you had dual independent master
cylinders (as opposed to the stock tandem style), and you applied pressure to
only one of them, for sure it would displace the shuttle valve.   Doing so
would result in a miniscule increase in pressure on the low-pressure side due
to the very small size of the end of the shuttle valve acting as a
piston--if indeed there was any pressure increase at all.

Brake fluid does compress a little bit, as do all fluids under pressure.
If you were to measure the column of brake fluid in the hard line where it
attaches to the master cylinder, when you stepped on the brakes hard, that
fluid might move a couple of inches?   (That's a guess).   But down at the
caliper, the movement of fluid in the line entering the caliper would be
measurably less.   The difference is a function of the compressability of the
liquid.

Forgetting for the moment the automobile which has multiple calipers with
multiple pistons being acted on by a single master cylinder, consider
something like a motorcycle brake.   Old-school motorcycle disc brakes have a
single piston acted upon by a single master cylinder.   The piston's movement is
all but imperceptable to the human eye, but the master cylinder moves quite
a bit.   Although much of that difference can be attributed to the different
sizes of the master piston versus caliper piston, the 'spongy' feel in the
brake lever is due to the fluid (which often is contaminated with air,
moisture etc.) compressing.