[DeTomaso] Poor brakes

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Fri Jul 10 15:39:23 EDT 2009

I agree with Jack, it really -is- based on flow.

The system should be static for the most part.  When at rest, the
master is retracted and the calipers push fluid back to the Master
cylinder.  When the pedal is applied, pressure is increased -AND-
fluid is -moved- into the calipers.  Yea, it's not a lot but it -is-
moving fluid, therefore, flow.

When one side experiences a rupture, a pressure differential is
created because one side is flowing rapidly against no pressure while
the other side is flowing slowly against a higher pressure.

If there was -no- flow, the shuttle would not move.

Now, if it was a totally enclosed system.  If you increased the
pressure on once side it should move the shuttle versus the lower
pressure on the other side.  However,  I've been told that liquids do
not compress, so no matter how high you change the pressure on one
side, in a totally enclosed system, I don't think you'd get any
movement of the shuttle.

But our brake systems by nature of the master cylinder and pistons in
the calipers are not static.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Asa Jay

Quoting JDeRyke at aol.com: