[DeTomaso] Poor brakes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jul 10 14:04:20 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/10/09 7:26:29 AM, forestg at att.net writes:

> To clarify; the shuttle valve does not indicate pad wear. It's purpose is
> to alert you if you lose pressure to one side such as would happen if a
> line broke or a caliper seal leaks.

To clarify: if a pad wears, more fluid is used in that part of a caliper
during braking which moves the shuttle, indicating pad wear, as well as what
you describe. I know you like this infernal device, but it really needs the
modification that AMC and others did- adding a spring on both ends of the
bore to help return the shuttle from the ends of the bore. The trouble often
starts when one bleeds the brakes and the motion of the fluid bled out drives
the shuttle far to one side where varnish sticks it in its bore. I've
cleared several shuttles that were stuck solid, Larry Stock has done the same in
his shop, and Roger Sharp has found at last one during Nor-Cal Tech sessions.
I believe its an endemic problem to the Pantera best fixed by eliminating
the thing entirely. My 2¢- J Deryke