[DeTomaso] The thrashed Pandora is back home.

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Fri Jul 10 13:04:56 EDT 2009

Yeah, when I took the car to the body shop this morning, the guys there were astounded at the damage and couldn't believe it.  They noticed, among other things, that at least one of the welds on one of the deck hinges was broken.  That's how tweaked the deck is.

Dale, the engine builder, and I talked this morning, and he had no idea of the damage that was done.  He said when he and the mechanic talked, the mechanic simply told him it was done and he had "a little trouble with the back deck."  Dale is beside himself, and knows he's going to be upside down on this deal to the point it will cost him two months' wages.  He continued to apologize profusely and I really feel sorry for him.

He seems to be standing behind this mess, though, and it reinforces my belief that he is a stand-up guy who made a big mistake using that mechanic.  He said he has no idea what happened to the mechanic, and that the mechanic must be on drugs or something.

He also said he's never had anything like this ever happen in 30 years of building engines, and never wants to see a Pantera again.

I'm proceeding with a claim with Hagerty, and I'm pretty sure I'll have them cover it and simply let them deal with Dale and the mechanic.

Sincerely,

Chris