[DeTomaso] Fw:  Velocity Air Cleaners

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jul 9 07:17:14 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/9/09 3 28 39, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> I have those filters in my basement. I want the individual stack look.

That you can have--as long as you're willing to forgo effective filtration.
  You can either have hideous individual filters that work, or reasonably
attractive filters that rob immense horsepower.   You can also do what the
race cars do and fabricate mesh strainers which will keep larger rocks and
debris out, but not 'dirt' in the traditional sense.

Otherwise, you simply do without filtration and take your chances....

Pegasus makes screens but they are very fine and probably cost a bunch of
power:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=AIRHORNFILTER

Here's a German solution that is probably a bit better:

http://www.mactrumpet.de/index.php?id=35&backPID=35&begin_at=12

Roland--care to translate?

This fellow has an E-bay store with a lot of options:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/bills-b-racing72__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Weber actually makes them too, although they don't look very attractive and
because they have two screens they are VERY restrictive--reportedly to the
tune of 80-100 hp:

http://tinyurl.com/nq9eeb

Another guy has a very clever solution.   He machines a groove in the
bottom of the air horn and then secures a screen there; it is therefore at the
bottom of the velocity stack rather than the top, and thus is invisible.
Here's three photos:

http://tinyurl.com/mmqk43

http://tinyurl.com/n6s6ld

http://tinyurl.com/lhhog2

Here's his contact info:

http://www.thormotorsports1.com/

And finally, if you're in a DIY mood, you can use an old-fashioned tea
strainer (or tea infuser), cut it apart and make them yourself!   Something like
this:

http://www.fantes.com/images/4474infusers.jpg

Just Google 'tea infuser' and you'll get a zillion links.

Happy screening!