[DeTomaso] Velocity Air Cleaners

Will Demelo wdemelo at cogeco.ca
Wed Jul 8 21:29:09 EDT 2009

I have a Quella IR EFI system on my car. I went from the low stacks and dual oval (Cobra style) air cleaners to individual tall stacks. Yes, I know many would die for the low system, but I wanted the Weber stack look with my 180's and soon to be GR4 body.
I ordered the little "honeycomb" type of button air cleaner for each of the 8 stacks from Kinsler. They're choking my motor to the tune of 68lbs torque and 62 rwhp. Yes, they need to go.
I was going to order 8 K&N conical style air filters. The model # RC-1200. They have much more combined surface area than my original ovals, but I'm concerned they may still restrict the air. It's gonna cost me $400 USD, so I want to make sure I'm going see they buried power.
Making a large plexiglass box is not an option. I want to stay with the individual stack look.
Opinions?
Will