[DeTomaso] PIpe sizing

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jul 6 15:26:46 EDT 2009

The pipes as-received are 54mm or approx. 1-3/8". While this may be
available in Europe, its not here. The vendors have come up with stainless steel
replacement tubes that fit at reasonable prices, and that works better than
the stock mild steel muffler tubing; first, stainless does not conduct heat
well so heat into the cabin is reduced. Second, it's impervious to corrosion
when we "forget" to change anti-freeze each year- permanent anti-freeze is
not forever!
I strongly advise NOT using copper or aluminum pipe for the straight
sections because it will radically INCREASE the heat in the cockpit thru the floor
and heavy insulation only partially fixes this. Using 1-1/4" copper 90
degree sweat-solder fittings at the radiator and at the rear firewall, as
substitutes for rare molded 90 degree rubber hoses is OK since their area is small
and the fittings are away from the cockpit floor. Note these fittings are
almost 1-1/2" OD so heating the hose ends in hot water expands & softens them
enough to allow them to fit straight pieces of 1-3/8" Gates Green-stripe
rubber hose. Good luck- J Deryke