[DeTomaso] Pantera Jeep

larry at ohiotimecorp.com larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Sat Jul 4 18:29:49 EDT 2009

Hi Bill,

My second car was a ’59 Jeep pickup. It had a flat head “Hurricane” straight six in it.

I will agree with what every one else has said about what you need. Craftsmen tools are very good, 90%
of my tools are Craftsmen, 35 years + old too.

A few things to add to your list:

Safety glasses
Face shield
Fire extinguisher
Lots of lights
15 different power glasses to be able to see
A cell phone in your pocket at all times (for more then one kind of help)

I do not think I could do this kind of work with out my Oxygen / Acetylene  welding and cutting set.
The biggest thing you will find is rusted and frozen nuts and parts. Get them red hot and they will
come off. If it is just a nut and bolt…burn it off. Fast and simple.

Try not to burn yourself out on the project. Set small goals that you can finish. Keep a “to do” list.
If you can get it running as you work on it at least you can drive it and have some fun. A full restore
is in the range of 2,000 hours. That is 40 hours a week for 50 weeks. Know what you are getting into.
Find a friend or two to help. Everyone works better when there is two to do it.

This is just normal simple car work. It is not hard to learn. Try to understand how it works before you
rip it apart. Remember I have the IQ of a rock and I can do it!

Have fun

Larry - Cleveland

On Sat Jul  4 13:58 , Bill Lewis  sent:

>OK, now that I have your attention!
>
>I am not a mechanic.  I own 24 screwdrivers, 3 hammers, several wire-cutter pliers, and a barb-wire
repair tool.

>I have just bought a 1959 Jeep station wagon, that I want to fix up.  Me, myself.  I have a new garage
area, so I have plenty of room.

>Two questions:
>
>1.  I need to buy a bunch of tools.  I'm going to stick with Sears Craftsman - you can buy them
anywhere.  Lifetime guarantee.  I'm no "keep up with the Jones" mechanic.  What recommendations do you
have?  Anyone know of a Craftsman "set" that is perfect for me?  Or, just start buying!

>2.  Recommendations on how to do the process, as far as keeping track of parts.  I had planned on
using baggies, markers, maybe photos, etc.  But, I'm sure that plenty of you have been down this path
and have lots of ideas.  Then it dawned on me that I may have a tracking book for one part of the
project (re-doing the window raises, for instance), and then on the same day, I might work on the front
winch (Jeep, remember).  So, it can't be in a spiral-type book.