[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 60, Issue 4

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 4 13:14:13 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/4/09 8 33 23, RCBSONS1 at aol.com writes:

> Always go for more power... just ask Scotty
> I had a fellow Pantera owner who wrecked his
> supercharged Pantera and bought a stocker to
> take up the time while his more powerful Pantera
> was being fixed... the new one had some issues
> and was being worked on... he asked me if he
> would be satisified with the stocker
>
> My response was quick and NO
>
>>>Yeah, he's asked me the same question. :>)

> He questioned me and I told him once you
> have experienced a car with major power it is
> really had to go back...I drove Roger Sharp's monster
> headed Pantera one day after he threw me the keys
> At that moment I started my plans for a new engine
> and never looked back
>
>>>I drove that car too.   You're right, his power is addictive!   But his
hobby-horse suspension and nonexistent brakes kept me from loving the car.

> Mikey you just drove the Euro guys monster Pantera
> why would you not want that....
>
>>>Well, there is the little matter of the $25K or so he has invested in
the engine, plus the $5-6K in the various carbon fiber goodies, and all the
other sacrifices he has made to get the car down to 2600 pounds....

>  and forget about the
> mustang as it seems like these damn Panteras take
> all the time and effert... we never hear about your Cobra
> any more now that the Pantera is running... am I right???

and I took it for an all-day blast through the back roads of Napa/Yolo/Solano
counties just before Reno.   Only problem is that it has a bad habit of
popping out of third gear under trailing throttle.   As the gearbox has just
been rebuilt, it *might* just be a linkage issue.

Or, not. :<(

But you're right--the Pantera is the focus of my attention at the
moment--as it should be! :>)