[DeTomaso] Damper dude

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 4 01:31:35 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/3/09 22 23 49, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> It might be interesting (as the winter project), to simply open up the
> front and see if the cam is timed correctly or not.  With the gear
> drive, it's easy to get it a tooth or two off if the installer is not
> paying attention.  It could very well be your cam is fine and just needs
> to be clocked correctly.  If you find that's not the case, then you can
> think about a new cam.
>
>>>Well, the cam specs alone dictate changing the cam.   It was given to me
for free by the engine builder, and was probably a roundy-round racer cam
that a racer decided he didn't want.   With an advertised powerband of
3000-7000 rpm, Comp Cams states that this cam is for "Hydraulic-Bracket Race /
limited street use, 3500+ stall, 11:1 compression, radical rough idle."

Not a suitable roadrace cam, and certainly not a good street cam.   The
idle sure sounds bad-ass though. :>)

If the cam marks don't line up properly, there's a good chance the engine
builder did it on purpose, with the goal of making more top-end power at the
expense of low- and midrange.   A noble endeavor on a drag race motor
perhaps.....

> Thanks for the story. :)
>
>>>As a postscript, I'm happy to report that I managed to not nearly get my
finger cut off by the damper pulleyand spend the afternoon in the hospital,
like last time. :>)